A few weeks ago I shared a picture of a matinee jacket I'd created out of 12 crocheted granny squares and lots of people asked for the pattern. I made this after viewing a few variations I'd seen on Pinterest and on crafting blogs.
a one minute video tutorial if you prefer that type of thing.
I have used double knit yarn in two contrasting colours
- Crochet 12 granny squares
- Sew six granny squares together to make the back
- Sew three granny squares together to make the right hand front side
- Sew three granny squares together to make the left hand front side
- Sew the three sections together. Start at the second group of stitches to create a collar opening
- Add a border by crocheting two rows of double crochet around all the open edges
- Create a button loop by chaining 7 and attaching to the border
- Add a button
Hints And Tips
- If you are a complete beginner with crochet then see here for a video tutorial from Bella Coco which shows you how to make a granny square
- Each time you create a new 'round' on your granny square, flip it over and work the 'reverse'. This helps to stop the edges from curling up
- Attach a new colour of yarn in the opposite corner from where you finished the previous colour. This helps to prevent any 'weak' corners