Things To Do Before I Turn 50
(also known as my "TA-DA" list as opposed to a "to do" list)
It was my 49th birthday a few days ago and this got me thinking. Any birthday that ends with a zero always feels a bit like milestone or a landmark and, when I hit the big "five-o" in 2022, I don't want huge parties or celebrations but I would like to have ticked a few things off my low-effort bucket list. I see these things as a way to improve my mental and physical health, plus a few slightly off-the-wall experiences that would make for great memories.
- Start running again and include the following:
- Lead a C25K group again
- Participate in parkrun EVERY week where possible
- Visit local landmarks whilst running
- Train for a long race - building up from 5k > 10k > 10 miles > half marathon, with a couple of longer trail races mixed in
- Lose a
lotbit of weight
- Post more on Instagram or give the blog a bit of a reboot < ongoing
- Look at new a career path or additional income streams
- Learn a new skill
- Read more books < JUNE - two new books read
- Arrange and/or perform in a flash mob
- Audition for a game show < research ongoing
- Crochet something to wear rather than start *another* blanket < pattern downloaded
- Volunteer and always "pay it forward"
- Get a new tattoo and/or piercing
- Wild swimming (or maybe just a paddle in the sea)
- Own a disco ball bucket hat
- Holiday somewhere new and book a city break
- Have a "Rock The Frock" photo shoot in my wedding dress
Running is obviously the most important one to me - you can tell that with all the add-ons I thought about whilst making the list, but I would love to get back to a place where I can really push myself to do something out of my comfort zone. For the new skill, I could maybe learn to hula-hoop or juggle because both of these feel simple enough to attain but do require some form of effort and coordination. Both my crocheting and reading have been put on the back burner many times in favour of scrolling through my phone and that is something I want to change. I've also been looking at a new tattoo or piercing for a while but just never got round to it! And "wild swimming"... I doubt that's ever going to happen but I wouldn't say no to a dip in the sea somewhere nice and warm next year.
And if you want to know what a "disco ball bucket hat" is then take a look at this video on TikTok. I have challenged a friend to make me one ready for my birthday next year so I'm keeping my fingers crossed she can get her hands on lots of mirror gems and a glue gun!
I think this is just the start of an ever-growing list and I may add to it if I think of any new ideas but I'll update you this time next year!