Last night's Friday Twiz theme was 10 Things From 10 Years ago and even when the year 2005 doesn't seem like such a long time ago, whilst researching the questions I was really surprised at which news and music events I'd forgotten about.
So... here are ten things that happened ten years ago - 2005 was a fairly unforgettable year!
1. Hurricane Katrina struck the Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama coastal areas flooding 80% of the city of New Orleans.
2. Angela Merkel assumed office as the first female Chancellor of Germany
4. London was awarded the responsibility of hosting the 2012 Summer Olympics by the International Olympic Committee.
6. George W Bush started his second term as 43rd President of the USA?
7. Over four million mourners travelled to the Vatican after Pope John Paul II (Karol Jozef Wojtyla) died. Pope John Paul II was the second longest serving pope in modern history and the first non-Italian pope in over 400 years.
8. On the 7th July (herein after known as 7/7) a terror attack rocked the whole of the London transport network killing 52 and injuring over 700 people.
10. HRH Prince Charles married Camilla Parker Bowles in a civil ceremony which took place at the Guildhall in Windsor. Camilla was then given her title, Duchess of Cornwall.
[contemplates whether to insert *that* Ferris Bueller quote here...]
* Here's 25 Things From 25 Years Ago on Typecast and here's 30 Things From 30 Years Ago which I wrote for Buzzfeed